Monday, February 8, 2010

FREX rises from the dead (again)

Posted By on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Well, this has been a wild ride.

It began with a tough announcement: The FrontRange Express, a popular bus route between Colorado Springs and Denver, would stop running in 2010 due to budget problems.

And then, our leaders changed their minds. Instead of shutting down the service, a few of the FREX buses would be sold to pay for service costs through the end of this year. The Colorado Department of Transportation, which owns an 80 percent share of the buses, was cool with the plan, and the city, which owns the other 20 percent, had given its preliminary blessing.

Looked good.

And then, the buses didn't sell. So, once again, FREX was going the way of the dodo on Feb. 12.

But wait, the city decided to try the bid process again. This time, York County Transportation Authority in Pennsylvania bought nine buses for a total of $1.44M, an average of $160K per bus! And now, assuming City Council gives its consent, FREX will be running at least through December.

You know, assuming nothing else changes.

Tags: , ,

Favorite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

Most Commented On

Top Topics in IndyBlog

IndyVoices (17)


City Gov (15)


Arts (11)


Local News (10)


Food & Drink (9)


Most Shared Stories

Top Viewed Stories

All content © Copyright 2014, The Colorado Springs Independent   |   Website powered by Foundation