Here's a quick rundown of some upcoming food events and food news:
• I will be judging at the Mumbo Jumbo Gumbo Cook-Off from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Feb. 18 at Manitou Springs' Soda Springs Park, preceding the town's Carnivale parade.
The public can sample from participating gumbo makers, both amateur and professional; $1 buys two tastings.
• Early warning on the 17th annual Colorado Restaurant Association Pikes Peak Chapter's Hospitality Expo, from noon to 3 p.m., Sunday, March 11 at the Broadmoor. Entry is $30 and benefits the Pikes Peak Community Foundation, the Pikes Peak United Way and ProStart culinary students.
Last year, I was fortunate to be part of the scrappy TAPAteria team that won Best Overall Champion de Cuisine in the chef-media cooking competition.
This year, I'll be assisting Conscious Table as chef Aaron Retka (previously at TAPAteria) looks for a repeat win.
Here's a look at the event flier, featuring a list of all the participating restaurants available for tastings:
• Adam's Mountain Café has a handful of cooking classes coming up. Spots (limited to 12) in each are $45 and each class includes around 10 to 12 dishes prepped by participants prior to a group dinner.
There were four seats left for Monday, Feb. 27's Thai class upon last check, but more seats available for March 5's Moroccan and March 12's East Indian classes. Check their calendar for future classes.
• A few passersby have reported seeing a sign up at the former Curry Leaf location for an incoming eatery called El Tamale Loco. We'll have details once we make contact.
• And finally, something pretty cool from Locals Barbershop: Guests can now get a complimentary beer with a haircut.
The $20 Local Cut includes a cup of brew: As of the time of my phone call last week, they were pouring Denver's Great Divide Brewing.