Republican Jennifer George, the newcomer who is vying for the state House seat in District 18, has maintained her crushing pace at fundraising, according to her Aug. 1 campaign finance filing.
As we reported last week, George has undertaken the high-profile task of unseating Democrat incumbent Rep. Pete Lee. Republicans are undoubtedly pinning quite a bit of their hopes on the George race.
For one thing, this is the Red county of El Paso; the district is in no way a Democrat stronghold and could easily fall back into Republican hands. Another, statewide the Republicans hold a one-seat majority in the House, with Dems controlling both the Senate and the Governor's mansion. A win in 18, which covers Manitou Springs, Old Colorado City and much of downtown Colorado Springs, could be a vital coup for the GOP.
A quick look at both candidate's list of contributors in the August filing shows that PACs and other political committees are starting to get involved in the race. Up until this last filing, there was only a minimal presence of PAC money.
Of the $17,674 George raised, $2,000 came from political committees:
• $400 from Apartment Association of Metro Denver Political Committee;
• $400 from Colorado Concern Political Committee;
• $400 from Committee for Economic Prosperity;
• $400 from Farmers Employees and Agent PAC;
• $400 from Property Casualty Insurers Association of America Colorado PAC.
Of the $21,180 Lee raised, $12,942 came from political committees:
• $4,292.86 from Colorado Democratic Party;
• $400 from Nurses for Political Action in Colorado;
• $2,250 from Public Education Committee;
• $1,000 from Colorado American Federation of Labor & Congress of Industrial Organizations Nonpartisan Small Donor;
• $2,250 from Colorado State Conference of Electrical Workers Small Donor Committee;
• $1,000 from Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 58 Small Donor Committee;
• $1,750 from Service Employees International Union Local 105.
I was enjoying the plains and then saw and heard these giant oil rigs that…
I am 62 years old and have been awarded a life time National Parks Pass…
We live in a culture of instant gratification. For many, it is hard to accept…