If you're looking for something to do tonight that can entertain and help you prepare for an emergency, make plans to attend the third annual Community Emergency Preparedness Night at Security Service Field. There's no charge for the pre-game festivities.
The event is staged in observance of National Preparedness Month (September), sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Other agencies participating include El Paso County, the Colorado Springs Office of Emergency Management, American Medical Response and Penrose-St. Francis Health Services. (Interesting that city-owned Memorial Hospital isn't in the mix.)
“In the wake of the Waldo Canyon fire, we have a heightened awareness for how important it is to be prepared for any emergency be that natural disasters such as fires, flooding, blizzards, or man-made emergencies such as a cyber attack on the electrical grid or a financial meltdown," Commissioner Peggy Littleton said in a release. "We each are our own first responder and have to be prepared for a YOYO (you’re on your own) situation at any time. I implore the citizens of El Paso County to take emergency preparedness seriously. Waiting until the event occurs is simply too late. Make time during September, National Emergency preparedness month, to get your family ready. Go to ready.gov or peggylittleton.org to get preparedness information.”
Promoters promise fun for the whole family, and Gov. John Hickenlooper even plans to make an appearance at 4 p.m. outside the stadium.
Here's a lineup of activities as provided by El Paso County:
• When — Friday, August 31 at 5:00 p.m.
• Where — Sky Sox’s Security Service Field in Colorado Springs
• Highlights —
o Helicopter flyover from the Penrose St. Francis Flight for Life
o Mascots from many agencies will be there to greet the kids
Participating organizations and activities for this year’s event include:
• Colorado Springs Office of Emergency Management
• Penrose St. Francis Health Services is doing a blood drive from 4 p.m.-8 p.m. and the Trauma Center is doing Bike Helmet Safety Checks
• American Medical Response will have an ambulance on display
• Pikes Peak American Red Cross is doing activities for children
• Care and Share is doing a food drive
• Pikes Peak United Way 2-1-1 will show you how to register for the emergency evacuation registry
• Colorado Springs Fire Department will have a fire truck and Sparky
• Colorado Springs Fire and El Paso County Wildfire Mitigation teams will be there to talk about mitigation strategies
• Serve Empower Transform - SET Clinic will be doing free blood pressure checks
• Colorado Springs Police Department will have a police cruiser there
• Colorado Springs Police Department and El Paso County Crime Prevention staff will present neighborhood and business watch information
• Colorado Springs Utilities will have interactive electricity and natural gas exhibits
• El Paso Teller County E-911 Authority will be doing cell phone registry and the safety trailer
• Community Animal Response Team will be teaching small animal CPR
• Community Emergency Response Training (CERT)
• El Paso County Emergency Services Division, Public Health, Sheriff’s Office, Medical Reserve Corps and Search and Rescue will all be offering information and will have displays on getting prepared
• Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) staff and volunteers will teach fire extinguisher training and provide education on emergency preparedness
• Salvation Army will be there to show how you can get involved
• The Independent Center
Admission to the Sky Sox game is standard ticket rate if you stay for the game against the Las Vegas 51s. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.