Sorry, folks, but the truth is that the Waldo Canyon burn scar has left us incredibly vulnerable to catastrophic flooding. Now for the good news: A lot of people in the community are working very hard to alleviate that risk as much as possible.
Here are a few things to keep an eye on, courtesy of El Paso County:
• Door-to-Door Flood Awareness Campaign- The City of Colorado Springs, together with AspenPointe, will distribute a flood preparedness brochure and customizable flood preparedness magnet to high flood risk neighborhoods. Volunteers will be dropping off packets at residents’ front doors throughout the month of April, beginning April 8th.
• Post- Fire Flood Risk Meetings: Several community meetings will target neighborhoods throughout the region to address the increased flood risk this season, and for years to come. The current schedule includes:
- Green Mountain Falls area, Monday, April 8. 6:30-8:30 pm. Meeting held at Ute Pass Elementary School: 9230 Chipita Park Road, Chipita Park, CO 80809.
- Cascade area, Tuesday, April 9. 6:30-8:30 pm. Meeting held Ute Pass Elementary School: 9230 Chipita Park Road, Chipita Park, CO 80809.
- Pleasant Valley Neighborhood, Thursday, April 11. 6-8p.m. Meeting at Glen Eryie Castle Great Hall: 3820 N 30th St Colorado Springs, CO 80904
- Manitou Springs, Monday, April 15. 6:30-8:30 pm. Meeting held at Manitou Springs City Hall, 606 Manitou Ave, Manitou Springs, CO 80829.
- Manitou Springs, Wednesday, April 24. 6:30-8:30 pm. Meeting held at Manitou Springs City Hall, 606 Manitou Ave, Manitou Springs, CO 80829.
• Free Sandbag Distribution Day- homeowners impacted by the Waldo Canyon Fire, or who live in high flood risk areas on the Westside of Colorado Springs may receive pre-filled sandbags to place on their property for flood mitigation. Sandbags will be loaded onto vehicles Saturday, April 13 from 9 am. to 4 p.m. at Verizon Wireless building (2424 Garden of the Gods Road).
I am 62 years old and have been awarded a life time National Parks Pass…
We live in a culture of instant gratification. For many, it is hard to accept…
It's not only the unstable soil/sediment that poses a hazard, but now the tress have…