From the listings desk: Today, Colorado State University - Pueblo announced its 2013-2014 Distinguished Speaker Series line-up, which, as usual, includes fascinating figures from highly varied backgrounds. Past years have seen the likes of Temple Grandin, Ray Nagin, Sherman Alexie, and just as notably, Bruce Jenner.
As always, the series is open to the public; some speakers are free while others cost $8 to see. This year's speakers are:
• Aug. 28: David Garibaldi, a "performance painter" who paints to music of musicians. His skill brought him to fourth place on season seven of America's Got Talent, and has helped him raise over $1 million for charity. $8.
• Sept. 25: Daniel Hernandez, a former congressional intern for Gabrielle Gifford, who is credited with helping save the congresswoman's life as well as those of others when Jared Loughner opened fire in a mall parking lot. Hernandez is also notable for his struggle to succeed despite the prejudice he faces as a gay, Hispanic man born and raised in Tucson, Ariz. $8.
• Nov. 5: Asma Hasan, a noted author and "highly sought expert on the American Muslim community." Hasan has published two books, American Muslims: The New Generation and Why I am a Muslim, both of which "have been widely praised for offering a refreshing take on the often misguided stereotypes of Muslims." Free.
• Dec. 4: Roger Donlon, the first recipient of the Medal of Honor in the Vietnam War and as a member of Special Forces. Donlon led a defense of a Special Forces camp at Nam Dong against a battalion of Viet Cong. Free.
• Jan. 22: W. Kamau Bell, a comedian, community activist and late-night TV host, who was called "the most promising new talent in political comedy in many years" by the New York Times. Bell co-hosts a podcast called The Field Negro Guide to Arts & Culture with Vernon Reid of Living Colour and debuted Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell to much critical acclaim. $8.
• Feb. 26: Tony Mendez, the CIA technical operations officer on whom the film Argo was based. Mendez is highly decorated and has written three memoirs about his time with the CIA, which included the 1979 exfiltration mission to rescue six American diplomats from Iran. $8.
For more information about the series, visit colostate-pueblo.edu/speakers or call 719/549-2687.
would you people be so dismissive if the magazine was a jihadist Muslim mag??? ..…
Testogen Is A Powerful Supplement That Boosts Testosterone Levels, Promotes Muscle Growth And Increases Strength…
Stop it. Just don't publish such an absurd story and call it news. It's insane…