The coming Castle Rock Adventist Hospital is a little far away, but if you're into some of the greener things in life it may be worth it. Opening Aug. 1, the newest arm of religious-minded Centura Health — of which Penrose-St. Francis Hospital and Health Services is a part — boasts of a community garden, a free bicycle-rental program and a "health-focused restaurant" called Manna helmed by chef Dan Skay.
The Wall Street Journal covered Skay in 2009, writing: "Judges hung a gold medal around the neck of Daniel Skay for his Machaca Flat Iron Steak With Cilantro Tomalito and Corn Chile Sauce. He clasped his hands and bowed. It was official: Mr. Skay had been named top chef — of hospitals."
An open house will be held this Sunday, July 14, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. if you want to see it for yourself. In the meantime, here are some facts provided via press release:
• On Thursday, August 1, 2013, the hospital will open to begin serving the residents of Castle Rock and surrounding communities with Labor and Delivery services, an ICU and acute care wing and a full-service women’s imaging center.
• The women’s imaging center is equipped with the only DEXA scan in Castle Rock. This equipment is used to determine bone density in women and diagnose osteoporosis. The center also provides digital mammography and is staffed with a fellowship trained breast radiologist.
• In addition to the services that will become available on August 1, the hospital also has an Emergency Room and imaging center, which have been serving patients since the phase one opening in 2011. The opening on August 1 completes the $130 million project.
• The hospital is 212,240 square feet, complete with 50 beds and fully staffed with 300 employees. A Flight for Life helipad is also on-site to be able to quickly and safely transport patients to or from the hospital if needed.
• With your first step into the Castle Rock Adventist Hospital Atrium, you’re greeted by inspirational music and six massive Aspen tree sculptures with leaves that illuminate to the tunes of the song playing. From the lively and unique artwork scattered throughout the hallways and sitting areas to the modern furniture and interior design details, Castle Rock Adventist Hospital was built to inspire a feeling of comfort and appeal to the community that it serves.
Mr. Miller consults his crystal ball and tells me, "It appears that you would be…
You write of the press, Mr. Miller, "they have the right to do whatever they…
You claim, Mr.Miller, "I feel well-qualified to repudiate your expectation that the press should get…