Weather Stations are only one way that temperature data is collected and analyzed. Scientists have multiple ways in which to collect climate data, including: satelite measurements of lower and upper troposphere, weather balloons, borehole analysis, glacial ablation observations, sea-ice data, sea level, proxy reconstructions, as well as ocean temperature data. You would need to explain why ALL these independent analyses corroborate the conclusion that the Earth is experiencing a significant upward trend in global temperatures.
1) “Then why is the climate changing on other planets? And why is CO2 RISING while global temps are FALLING?”
What other planets are you refering to? Are you of the opinion that climate change doesn’t happen on other planets? If we examine Mars we find it is a very poor proxy for global warming on Earth most significantly because its degree of obliquity and eccentricity due to precession is much greater than the Earths. In any case, as far as the Earth is concerned, temperatures for the last decade have shown a very slight increase. Corrected for the impact of that particularly strong El Nino in 1998 and discounting the fact that periods of one decade are too short to resolve temperature trends,we find that there is a very slight uptick in temperatures over this last decade. In fact the top 8 warmest years have been in the last decade. The overall trend for 150 years has been an increase in average global temperatures.
2) Have you not noticed the UNDERSEA volcanic activity in the Arctic? "Recent massive volcanoes have risen from the ocean floor deep under the Arctic ice cap, spewing plumes of fragmented magma into the sea, scientists who filmed the aftermath reported Wednesday.
Undersea volcanic activity has ALWAYS taken place. It’s not like it ever stops. There is no evidence of increased volcanic activity contributing to the Arctic melt.
3) Without going into a long diatribe, "US physics professor: 'Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life'
The fact that this Professor cites the thoroughly debunked claim that emails between scientists involved in climate research show a collusion to deceive the world about global warming as well as a book by the quack Montford leads me to question his expertise on the subject.
4) OR: Shall we print the truth and cut off all funding for our Universities? OR continue the charade and keep the GRANT MONEY FLOWING.
Your belief that printing the truth would lead to a cut-off of all funding for our Universities is laughable at best. The scientific process depends on being able to successfully support or refute theories, and being the scientist to successfully refute a popularly held theory may likely lead to a quasi-celebrity status and possibly a Nobel. What scientist or budding scientist would not want to enjoy such a status?
5) The international science team from the United States and Canada mapped and sampled the ocean floor and collected video and data that indicate a major volcano exists on the Antarctic continental shelf, they announced on May 5 in a dispatch from the research vessel Laurence M. Gould, which is operated by the National Science Foundation (NSF). - "Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up several years ago”
I know of no scientific paper that posits any connection with underwater volcanic activity and glacial retreat, much less any connection between the Larson B collapse and a major volcano on the Antarctic Continental Shelf.
6) I'll only pick one - Glaciers. As a matter of fact, many Himalayan glaciers are growing. In a defiant act of political incorrectness, some 230 glaciers in the western Himalayas -- including Mount Everest, K2 and Nanga Parbat -- are actually growing. "These are the biggest mid-latitude glaciers in the world," says John Shroder of the University of Nebraska-Omaha. "And all of them are either holding still, or advancing."
"New Zealand Glaciers Growing Despite Global Warming "
"Norway's glaciers growing at record pace. "
"Mysterious California Glaciers Keep Growing Despite Warming"
Nothing in ANY of the scientific papers on Climate Change, that I have read, categorically state that ALL glaciers are in retreat. There is, however, well-documented evidence of a general increase in glacial ablation worldwide. The data from ice-cores and climate stations does suggest that there has been unusual 20th century warming in the Himalayas [Thompson et al, 2003]. As far as the glaciers in Western Norway are concerned, Norways high latitude and the glaciers proximity to maritime moisture had [1990’s] added more than enough snow to offset summer melt. Interestingly enough there is evidence suggesting a retreat of these western glaciers hypothesized to be due to mass-transfer imbalances and responses from excessive ablation [Winkler et al, 2009]. The plain fact is that anecdotal evidence does not trump actual data and specific instances of glacial advances does not outweigh the overall decrease in glacial mass worldwide.
7) "Central Greenland surface temperature reconstruction for the last millennium. Adapted from Kobashi et al. (2010)." - which concludes "Thus, there is no compelling reason to believe that the 20th-century increase in the air's CO2 content (a 100-ppm rise above what it was during the warmer Medieval Warm Period) was the cause of 20th-century global warming, especially when climate alarmists claim that such warming, when it occurs, should be most evident and earliest expressed in high northern latitudes, and even more so in light of the fact that there is a millennial-scale climatic cycle that alternately brings the earth relatively warmer and cooler century-scale conditions throughout both glacial and interglacial periods alike (see Climate Oscillations -- Millennial Variability in our Subject Index).
CO2’s role as a greenhouse gas is well understood. Human contribution to atmospheric CO2 is also well documented [http://www.grida.no/publications/other/ipc…]. While the Earth does experience natural cycles, our understanding of the natural cycle doesn’t explain the 35% increase in CO2 levels nor the change in the energy balance of the Earth.
8) Have you ever heard of GEOENGINEERING?
The impacts that large scale Geoengineering would have on our atmosphere are not well understood. It would also be prohibitively expensive to implement and actually have little impact on the real problem, which is the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Interesting thought experiments at most.
9) "Snow in Brazil! Millions of Dead Fish, Alligators, Turtles… Floating Down Bolivian Rivers! Argentina Has Colder Winter Than Antarctica!
August 13th, 2010 " GOOGLE it! I did.
Nothing and nobody says that we will not have regional variation in temperatures. The average global temperature of the Earth has increased, and that is a fact. You can GOOGLE it! Your claim is about as inane as claiming that because it is cold in Boston this proves Summer is a hoax.
10) "For a breakdown of how much money flows to promoters of climate fear, see a
Janaury 17, 2007 EPW blog post: (LINK)
I am sure there are many climate scientists who would be insulted at the implication that money drives their position. Of course being insulted has no bearing on whether ones position is valid or not. No Climate Scientist that I know is making gobs of money. Average entry level salary for a scientist with a doctoral degree working for the federal government is somewhere in the range of $50,000 to $55,000. Unless you’re single with a low cost of living, you’re probbaly not driving around in a porshe. Talk to any ACTUAL climate scientist and you’ll hear about how tight and competative it can get when dealing with Grant money.
All content © Copyright 2013, The Colorado Springs Independent
Website powered by Foundation