The only thing that will enliven south academy is if the area residents stop shooting each other and the neighborhood becomes safe again...they could start making the stores and services looked a little less like little Juarez.
A few thoughts:
- James is right; Pace was a warehouse club like Costco (Yay!). It was K-Mart's attempt to enter the big box and warehouse club businesses. There was a companion big box hardware store (Builder's Square). K-Mart closed both chains in one of its serial efforts to cut losses and find profitability.
- IMO the CSC was put into a very wrong location when it went into the old Intel chip fab plant up on Garden of the Gods. CSC is a government "basic service" and belongs centrally located in the downtown area where it can piggyback on the transit center at Kiowa and Nevada. Putting CSC downtown eliminates the ludicrous 2.5 hour trip from the city's southern region, plus it improves the critical mass of existing routes and ridership. Bringing CSC visitors into a walkable downtown will support nearby downtown businesses, especially eateries. There's a big empty parking lot along Pikes Peak, btw Weber and Nevada, catty corner from the bus depot / Wyndham Grand, that could support a mid-rise office location for the CSC, a modern cafeteria serving healthy food, and maybe a few more small businesses.
- I still hope the Intel plant can become a maker of solar electric photo-voltaic panels which seems a compatible use with the former processes of making silicon wafer chips. Here is where a public-private partnership with SoCol governments (EP, Teller, Pueblo counties, etc) the local utilities and a panel maker could bring some decent jobs INTO the area. Even if locally made PV panels cost a bit more than Chinese imports, getting people off of food stamps and unemployment should still provide taxpayers a net benefit and cost avoidance.
- I'd like to see S. Academy do well, but doubt it can happen without our larger society first experiencing a renaissance to provide the underlying prosperity to fuel the change process.
- Ms. Littleton should do more than just consider a stop at the V.A. Center. Such a stop should be an absolute requirement. Our Vets deserve no less from us.
We obviously have "Newby" reporters and commentators. This is the exact same argument, controversy, chemical, and players we went through in 1999-2000 when CSU wanted to fluoridate the same exact water systems. Fluoride has only been shown to be effective with cavity's using topical application not systemic ingestion. CSU will get the fluoride from smokestack waste products. And know we have a few wacky dentist claiming tooth decay foul in the face of mountains of sugar! (those dentist's loved putting ultra-toxic mercury in your mouth for a century!) This is a horrible joke on the public, shame on you city council.
We just heard from Commissioner Peggy Littleton about her idea for a county-sponsored bus route from the South Academy corridor. She had this to say:
"I just mentioned my concern of an extremely long transit time from the SE corridor of City of Colorado Springs to the CSC at the PPRTA meeting today. I noted that there is a 6.3 million dollar transit carry over from 2013-2014 that, according to Richard Marcus, Planning Supervisor for the [city] Transportation Advisory Board, is for sustaining the new services that are being implemented and for additional services. I will be meeting with Rich and Craig Blewitt and County staff to see how we might collaborate in having an express service from the SE side of COS to the CSC. I have County staff compiling a cost analysis for how we might assist and what we might be able to bring to the table to get this service considered and implemented.
"According to Rich, the next expansion of any transit services will be in Sept, so this will give us 6 months to hammer out details. While I would like for this express bus to the CSC to be expedited and implemented much earlier than Sept, this looks like it will be the realistic timeline. At least we are moving forward on a solution.
"I think we should even consider making a stop at the new VA clinic part of the express service."
Looks like the Jenkins' investment in Bach's election is paying off.
First they'll make a killing on whatever land they own in the area for the C4C Stadium. Next they'll be stockpiling land in the S. Academy corridor, waiting for Bach's handpicked urban renewal authority to declare the whole place blighted, and fund it for redevelopment. Then Veitch and Norwood will turn it into another Powers Blvd./First and Main.
Pace was a store much like Sams, NOT a hardware store.
The only thing that is "for sure" is your tendency to jump to conclusions, Mr. Malthusian.
Your quotation of the relevant passage in the article is confusing. Your citation does not make it clear it was Lt. Gen. Johnson herself who told the reporter, "as a federal officer, she's barred from endorsing state government activities." Very likely, in her bid "to be a good community partner," she told the commission the very same thing. Clearly, that is neither her endorsement nor her opinion.
She probably mentioned the shortfall between the sales tax rebates set aside for the project and the projected costs. After all, "the extra $7.5 million won't come from her military budget." Clearly, as "a good community partner" she owes it to the commission to apprise them of the situation. Once again, it is neither her endorsement nor her opinion.
she drove on "snowy roads to Denver on Dec. 4 to speak in uniform at the Economic Development Commission hearing on City for Champions "to be a good community partner," as a federal officer, she's barred from endorsing state government activities". She cant endorse but presents her opinion while wearing her uniform. Abuse of the uniform for sure.
Due to a high volume of comments violating our policies against personal attacks and name-calling, we have disabled the commenting function on this and related stories. Those wishing to have comments published re: this story in our Letters to the Editor section are welcome to submit them to email@example.com.
I recently heard that Victor was already let go. That doesn't surprise me much. What does surprise me is that this particular publication insists on proliferating the out and out lie about his "master chef" status. He is not, in any way shape or form, a master chef. There are chefs who work hard their whole lives to achieve this honored status, and it is an insult to all of them to allow this person to claim this with nothing to back it up. I thought that journalism is supposed to be based in fact, not myth.
I don't really care about bourbon. But I am happy to have another locally owned and operated restaurant as an alternative to all the mediocre chain restaurants we are stuck with in the Springs. So, I would have liked to hear a lot more about the food. One question. Will they provide any type of drive home service for over imbibers?
How about GMO-free bourbon?
Please ask Alligator Joe to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. An aquaponics system is urgently needed here in the Philippines(he's been here before) due to the recent devastation of the super typhoon Yolanda. He needs to contact me immediately. Brother Ramon.
"I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." Genesis 12:3.
Those so-called evangelicals who say Jews are cursed are calling down the curse of heaven on their own heads.
As a Unitarian,I find Evangelicals totally disgusting and agents of Adolph Hitler. They told me that the Jews are the cursed people of the world. I literally hate Evangelicals and have much more tolerance for Buddhists,Muslims,Jews,Mormons,Catholics and mainstream Protestants. Evangelicals,CLEAN UP YOUT FILTHY ACT!!!
Marv Bennett should either resign from the Urban Renewal Board or recuse himself from all C4C-related votes taken by the council.
Get ready for the dimwitted DEA to attempt to raid these shops. I hope Colorado & Washington have the good sense to setup "DEA Squads" to stop the feral, immoral; scum within the DEA in their nefarious endeavours. The DEA filth must be arrested, charged AND PROSECUTED. Then they should be jailed for VERY significant terms.
The FACT is, the DEA are an International Terrorist Organisation whose members are under the impression that they can do whatever the hell they want to.
Ask Val Snider and Merv Bennett why they ignored at large voters as at large representatives. Ask them all why they are the void of sensible public policy on this issue: email@example.com
$150+ million regional market in our city now forfeited to the black market and to other cities. If you'd like to help overturn this poor decision, join Every Vote Counts on facebook. Other people ARE doing something about this.
Before our current round of City Council were elected each and every one stated that they would support the will of the voters and enact recreational marijuana sales if it passed in the state and local elections. When the time came to put their honor on the line they failed miserably when casting their vote. It will be remembered when elections come around again. Citizens are getting sick of elected officials making their own agendas once we vote them to office. We are even recalling the most abusive ones these days.
Gurudori, I agree 100%!
All content © Copyright 2014, The Colorado Springs Independent
Website powered by Foundation