if U wanna have Doug Lamborn held accountable,
try to stop the parade of Democratic vanity candidates who pretend to run against him.
They suck the air out of the campaigns of conservative 3rd party candidates who could actually beat him.
Do these two additions expand views or give more of the same...their is no indication of what their perspective or underlying assumptions might be.
It is always an improvement to limit Routon.
I really do not believe Mayor Bach does NOT want any help from the citizens to make our city better! Seems it is his way or no way..also it does not seem like we have much of a democracy in our city today.. under Mayor Bach's rule! What is worse I voted for him!!! But of recent found out he was very deceptive with many people and that is sad! The Mayor has the gazette in his back pocket. I doubt the gazette will print anything that does not shed a good light on the mayor! For instance the Colorado Springs Fire Fighter Awards Ceremony was covered in the gazette for The Waldo Canyon Fire and many CSFD were honored..no mention of the other fire agency's that helped hugely in conjunction with CSFD like our EL Paso county Fire agency's that played a big role as well as Denver Fire Department, Falcon FD, others, Ft Carson FD, AMR Ambulance..the list is LONG to thank. I did not see any of those and many more agency's that volunteered resources to The Colorado Springs Fire Department ..so many agency's helped that fateful day and night..the gazette was silent..no mention..did Colorado Springs Fire Department thanks these departments including Denver Fire that really helped them hugely? So many agencies helped..without the help our city would have burned down. Yes Colorado springs fire department did a great j ob standing joband this was their awrds dinner ..but why did the gazette not mentione all the others in conjuction with this dinner?The issue is that the gazette did not mention any other agency including AMR Ambulance which along with others was running the city calls other emergency's as well as evacuating countless people in nursing homes ...private homes. Aside from the fire ..the gazette has printed if at all one word of the city wanting to take over ambulance transport that could cost jobs and has not printed one word. Before the gazette was just a rag without substance..now it is our Mayor Bach's paper. The gazette is burying stories out there to protect the Mayor. It it their own private party. The Independent is the only paper we have that informs us of what is going on. Our city is in for some big trouble with this mayor and now that the gazette prints the mayors agenda. The ONLY balance we have right now is The Independent! Of course the gazette did not mention the other agencies..Mayor Bach wants the colorado springs fire department to do transports so the gazette is the mayors puppet. I really thought Anschutz was better than this! Maybe the Mayor and Anschutz are social friends. I am disappointed about the gazette. I do know several age 70 plus in our city that long ago stopped getting the gazette and subscribe to Denver Post and the Wallstreet Journal. In recent conversations this group is beginning to turn to the Independent to try and find out what is going on. What the gazette provides now is so much worse that it has even been.
Indy says: "Our ultimate goal is not to point fingers or assign blame, but to ensure we all know what actually happened" ... as according to Pam Zubeck and the Indy. But, as is plain to see from reading the article, the goal IS to point fingers and assign blame.
Fortunately, the Indy has little influence in the greater COS community, as witness the few to none web comments on their articles, the Waldo fire article excepted. I read the Indy, as do other conservatives, and occasionally comment in order to counter the progressive, more-govt-is-better stance of the Indy.
Would it not be better for the Indy to accept the fact that Bach is mayor of COS and refrain from attempting to bring about his downfall by blaming him for the Mountain Shadows horror? Why not consider working with the mayor and help him achieve the goal we all want of making COS the best place to live in all of America?
Kman---my point is that the least tolerant people I know are liberals in Colorado Springs.
Whereas being a conservative is so simple any simpleton can do it.
Sounds reasonable and sane to me...if we can't allow his voice, then we really have become a fascist country.
Sometimes being liberal is really hard for liberals.
Lipstick on a PIG.
Does he smoke dope and support the current mmj obsessions of the Indy, or will he make the Indy a real alternative to the gazette.
Kirk Woundy as Editor-in-Chief? What awesome news! Kirk is a treasure and I can't wait to see the great destinations Kirk will steer the Indy to.
And just when I thought the Indy couldn't get any better! Congrats to the newly reconstructed management team, and congrats to John Weiss, whose guidance over so many years have made of the Independent a powerful force for good in the community.
Huge congratulations to Carrie on a well deserved promotion! She is an outstanding coworker and team leader, and it's never been a secret to anyone who's worked with her at the Indy that she is a big secret to the Indy's success. Well done Carrie, you deserve it and you will do an incredible job!
Really, really wish you'd rethink the decision to omit the movie times/locations. This is the reason I subscribed to the "free" Indy. Won't be renewing (just got that bill). Bummer.
Good, The Indy is becoming this city's dominant newspaper.
Pardon me, but how can you say Buck is honest? Are you drinking koolaid? Buck lied for over nine months saying he only grabbed 1,337 Hispanic tax returns. He finally admitted under pressure last month the truth that he actually grabbed 5,000. He told me personally that the 4:3 State Supreme Court decision did not matter, because it was only one vote. Most US Supreme Court decisions are 5:4, by only one vote. Buck was not being honest, but he thought he could con me. Perry screamed at me that the reason Atty Gen John Suthers told Buck to not grab the tax returns was because he was such a strong supporter of Jane Norton. She missed the point that it was an illegal search and seizure. She also missed that the date Buck grabbed the tax returns was Oct. 17, 2008. That date is obviously before the last election. We were doing all we could to defeat Obama, Salazar was the Senator, there was no mention of Bennett, and of course no mention of Norton. That is another lie! I have heard Buck say he is not an attorney, and not a Republican. He reminds me of Bill Clinton! On top of all of these things, Buck is also copying Glen Beck when he speaks . Plagiarism?
Jane Norton is who we need to be our next Senator! Buck is nothing but talk. He has done nothing conservative at all. Jane Norton is the true conservative, with the proven track record. That is why the Susan B Anthony Fund is behind her, because of her strong pro life record. Buck is up to his ears in ethics at the State and Federal levels. As of last month he has been charged with campaign finance violations, that will be ethics charges. Buck created the McCain attack on Norton. I heard him and Perry come up with tying her to McCain after the Fountain Parade last year. They knew it was a lie then, and it still is today. Jane was asked to run by the conservatives in the State because of all the Buck malfeasance that make him totally unelectable. Many of the Buck supporters attack and smear Jane, and those of us who support her. They know she is the better candidate, and she is electable. The Democrats will have a field day with the 5,000 Hispanic tax returns Buck grabbed illegally from a Hispanic tax preparer. The Democrats want us to nominate Buck, because they know they will destroy him.
Andrew Romanoff is my choice for Senator. He is articulate, knowledgeable and dedicated to working for the best interests of the people of Colorado. I admire his bravery in refusing to accept special interest money, the fuel that runs most other campaigns, but poisons our government and our economy. If we are ever to put the people back in charge of their own economic lives, we must first begin to clean up the Congress that puts its own careers first by selling out to the highest bidder, and leaving the hapless citizens to fend for themselves! Andrew’s victory would be an encouragement to others to conduct clean campaigns dedicated to We the People, and not indebted to the Banks and Wall Street thieves!
I have been involved in political campaigns for more than 40 years, and I have never known any office holder as impressive as Andrew Romanoff. As Speaker of the Colorado House, he was very effective in bringing together people of differing views that created legislation that benefitted all citizens, not just a select few. He is much respected across party lines for his high ethical standards, and was named one of the most effective legislative leaders in America.
All his life, Andrew has dedicated himself to working for the good of the community, and will continue to do so as our next Senator!
On the Democratic side I pondered the question in the fall of 2009. I have met both candidates, Bennet and Romanoff personally and in small company of Democratic and independent citizens. My standard bar was Russ Feingold whom I knew and helped get elected a number of times. Feingold is fiercely progressive, steadfastly independent and a staunch representative for his state. I came to the realization that in many ways how and why Feingold continues to get elected is as much a component to his performance as the person himself. Feingold never had much money, could only rely upon generating grassroots support and has rejected corporate interests and yet he has secured a "safe seat" for the Democratic Party. Furthermore he bested a highly funded Democratic insider in the state's primary and also a rich Republican Congressman in the general election in 1992.
Therefore I through my support for Romanoff who ironically connected with Feingold in so many ways. Then a fellow Democratic activist who originally was uncommitted during the caucus stated that he couldn't see much difference regarding either candidate's progressive political nature. When I pointed three "actions" and not words regarding Bennet's record, (A) voting with the GOP against Durbin's "Cramdown Amendment" regarding mortgage reform, (B) Bennet's changing stance on healthcare reform to where he sought a public option amendment but then failed to offer the amendment at the time of the vote, and (C) Bennet's vote with the GOP regarding Brown's Amendment limiting the size of Big Banks (too big to fail), all measures that Romanoff is front and center in stating he would have voted differently. My friend was not responsive but now is backing Bennet hoping the appointed incumbent will support progressive agendas.
Actions speak louder than words.
Andrew Romanoff is the only candidate not taking special interest money. He doesn't have to answer to any one but the voters.
Thank you for this opportunity.
Ken Buck is an honest, decent man. He is very careful to only point out policy differences between himself and other candidates. He never makes dishonest smears as some of the others do. He is not “business as usual.”
10) Ken Buck will vote in terms of the United States Constitution. He has taken that oath many times. He realizes that unless we return our country to its founding principles, our country will not survive.
9) Ken Buck always takes a commanding lead in appearances I’ve seen or heard. He is able to think and speak extemporaneously and without prompting from an adviser in the wings.
8) Ken Buck has the intellect and the Constitution to guide that intellect. He entered uncharted territory in Weld County by cracking down on illegal immigration and identy theft. He fought all sorts of powers to do that.
7) I have been so discouraged with Republicans that I have not worked actively for at least six years. I resisted favoring Ken Buck, even when a trusted friend told me he is different. I attended one meet-and-greet and was stunned by Buck’s honesty and down-to-earth demeanor. I was really impressed at how he had no canned answers. For each answer, Ken went through the logical thought process that lead him to his conclusion. How refreshing!
6) Ken Buck is only 50. He has the potential to gain significant position in the Senate. We need people like Ken Buck and Sen. Jim DeMint. Even just a handful of true Americans can turn the tide in this country. Until all senators take term-limits pledges, I hope Ken Buck does not.
5) Buck has already sworn his allegiance to principle over party, and I believe him. Ken Buck is pro-growth and pro-taxpayer. He is apparently supported by Americans for Job Security, a PAC of the United States Chamber of Commerce. That’s okay with me since the C of C works for growth and employment. Even so, I don’t ever see Ken Buck voting for something if such vote is not in accordance with his values. His opponent is supported by multitudes of PACs. PACs are a modern-day reality. The issue is the strength of character of the candidate.
It should be noted that even though AJS apparently supports Buck, it is not "Buck's PAC." By law, he can have no affiliation with it.
4) Ken has been all over Colorado, many times. I have been to several debates and forums, always hoping to see Ken Buck and Jane Norton side-by-side. I have yet to see them together. What I do see is that Ken just keeps showing up. The voters are seeing that, too!
3) Ken has a wonderful chance at winning in November. He leads both Democrats, and is now leading Norton by double-digits. Republicans are not pleased that Buck’s opponent bypassed the assembly and snubbed the grass roots; the duly elected representatives of their precincts. Democrats are particularly not in favor at the moment because of their liberal, big spending, and liberty limiting views and votes; but even if they were, Ken Buck will present a commanding presence over either of them.
2) I believe either Republican would try to serve constituents, although at present, Buck’s opponent refuses (on Facebook) to answer any difficult questions respectfully submitted to her. They get deleted. I hope that is not a bad omen for how she will respond to Coloradans in the future. My experience with Sen. Bennet, in particular, is that he ignores my communications.
1) Pride: Coloradans will be proud of Ken Buck. He has been honest and strong throughout. He is responsive to questions and will discuss anything, even those issues about which someone disagrees with him. He has never resorted to dirty tricks, truth-twisting and outright lies.
If I had one word to describe Ken Buck I would say "honest."
Bonus: I don’t know if any of the present U.S. Senate candidates have presidential aspirations, but if one were to rise to the top, it would be Ken Buck. I hope the Independent continues to watch him. He has a great command of every situation. For now, he wants to serve Colorado and he loves America!
All content © Copyright 2015, The Colorado Springs Independent
Website powered by Foundation