Kman---my point is that the least tolerant people I know are liberals in Colorado Springs.
Whereas being a conservative is so simple any simpleton can do it.
Sounds reasonable and sane to me...if we can't allow his voice, then we really have become a fascist country.
Sometimes being liberal is really hard for liberals.
Lipstick on a PIG.
Does he smoke dope and support the current mmj obsessions of the Indy, or will he make the Indy a real alternative to the gazette.
Kirk Woundy as Editor-in-Chief? What awesome news! Kirk is a treasure and I can't wait to see the great destinations Kirk will steer the Indy to.
And just when I thought the Indy couldn't get any better! Congrats to the newly reconstructed management team, and congrats to John Weiss, whose guidance over so many years have made of the Independent a powerful force for good in the community.
Huge congratulations to Carrie on a well deserved promotion! She is an outstanding coworker and team leader, and it's never been a secret to anyone who's worked with her at the Indy that she is a big secret to the Indy's success. Well done Carrie, you deserve it and you will do an incredible job!
Really, really wish you'd rethink the decision to omit the movie times/locations. This is the reason I subscribed to the "free" Indy. Won't be renewing (just got that bill). Bummer.
Good, The Indy is becoming this city's dominant newspaper.
Pardon me, but how can you say Buck is honest? Are you drinking koolaid? Buck lied for over nine months saying he only grabbed 1,337 Hispanic tax returns. He finally admitted under pressure last month the truth that he actually grabbed 5,000. He told me personally that the 4:3 State Supreme Court decision did not matter, because it was only one vote. Most US Supreme Court decisions are 5:4, by only one vote. Buck was not being honest, but he thought he could con me. Perry screamed at me that the reason Atty Gen John Suthers told Buck to not grab the tax returns was because he was such a strong supporter of Jane Norton. She missed the point that it was an illegal search and seizure. She also missed that the date Buck grabbed the tax returns was Oct. 17, 2008. That date is obviously before the last election. We were doing all we could to defeat Obama, Salazar was the Senator, there was no mention of Bennett, and of course no mention of Norton. That is another lie! I have heard Buck say he is not an attorney, and not a Republican. He reminds me of Bill Clinton! On top of all of these things, Buck is also copying Glen Beck when he speaks . Plagiarism?
Jane Norton is who we need to be our next Senator! Buck is nothing but talk. He has done nothing conservative at all. Jane Norton is the true conservative, with the proven track record. That is why the Susan B Anthony Fund is behind her, because of her strong pro life record. Buck is up to his ears in ethics at the State and Federal levels. As of last month he has been charged with campaign finance violations, that will be ethics charges. Buck created the McCain attack on Norton. I heard him and Perry come up with tying her to McCain after the Fountain Parade last year. They knew it was a lie then, and it still is today. Jane was asked to run by the conservatives in the State because of all the Buck malfeasance that make him totally unelectable. Many of the Buck supporters attack and smear Jane, and those of us who support her. They know she is the better candidate, and she is electable. The Democrats will have a field day with the 5,000 Hispanic tax returns Buck grabbed illegally from a Hispanic tax preparer. The Democrats want us to nominate Buck, because they know they will destroy him.
Andrew Romanoff is my choice for Senator. He is articulate, knowledgeable and dedicated to working for the best interests of the people of Colorado. I admire his bravery in refusing to accept special interest money, the fuel that runs most other campaigns, but poisons our government and our economy. If we are ever to put the people back in charge of their own economic lives, we must first begin to clean up the Congress that puts its own careers first by selling out to the highest bidder, and leaving the hapless citizens to fend for themselves! Andrew’s victory would be an encouragement to others to conduct clean campaigns dedicated to We the People, and not indebted to the Banks and Wall Street thieves!
I have been involved in political campaigns for more than 40 years, and I have never known any office holder as impressive as Andrew Romanoff. As Speaker of the Colorado House, he was very effective in bringing together people of differing views that created legislation that benefitted all citizens, not just a select few. He is much respected across party lines for his high ethical standards, and was named one of the most effective legislative leaders in America.
All his life, Andrew has dedicated himself to working for the good of the community, and will continue to do so as our next Senator!
On the Democratic side I pondered the question in the fall of 2009. I have met both candidates, Bennet and Romanoff personally and in small company of Democratic and independent citizens. My standard bar was Russ Feingold whom I knew and helped get elected a number of times. Feingold is fiercely progressive, steadfastly independent and a staunch representative for his state. I came to the realization that in many ways how and why Feingold continues to get elected is as much a component to his performance as the person himself. Feingold never had much money, could only rely upon generating grassroots support and has rejected corporate interests and yet he has secured a "safe seat" for the Democratic Party. Furthermore he bested a highly funded Democratic insider in the state's primary and also a rich Republican Congressman in the general election in 1992.
Therefore I through my support for Romanoff who ironically connected with Feingold in so many ways. Then a fellow Democratic activist who originally was uncommitted during the caucus stated that he couldn't see much difference regarding either candidate's progressive political nature. When I pointed three "actions" and not words regarding Bennet's record, (A) voting with the GOP against Durbin's "Cramdown Amendment" regarding mortgage reform, (B) Bennet's changing stance on healthcare reform to where he sought a public option amendment but then failed to offer the amendment at the time of the vote, and (C) Bennet's vote with the GOP regarding Brown's Amendment limiting the size of Big Banks (too big to fail), all measures that Romanoff is front and center in stating he would have voted differently. My friend was not responsive but now is backing Bennet hoping the appointed incumbent will support progressive agendas.
Actions speak louder than words.
Andrew Romanoff is the only candidate not taking special interest money. He doesn't have to answer to any one but the voters.
Thank you for this opportunity.
Ken Buck is an honest, decent man. He is very careful to only point out policy differences between himself and other candidates. He never makes dishonest smears as some of the others do. He is not “business as usual.”
10) Ken Buck will vote in terms of the United States Constitution. He has taken that oath many times. He realizes that unless we return our country to its founding principles, our country will not survive.
9) Ken Buck always takes a commanding lead in appearances I’ve seen or heard. He is able to think and speak extemporaneously and without prompting from an adviser in the wings.
8) Ken Buck has the intellect and the Constitution to guide that intellect. He entered uncharted territory in Weld County by cracking down on illegal immigration and identy theft. He fought all sorts of powers to do that.
7) I have been so discouraged with Republicans that I have not worked actively for at least six years. I resisted favoring Ken Buck, even when a trusted friend told me he is different. I attended one meet-and-greet and was stunned by Buck’s honesty and down-to-earth demeanor. I was really impressed at how he had no canned answers. For each answer, Ken went through the logical thought process that lead him to his conclusion. How refreshing!
6) Ken Buck is only 50. He has the potential to gain significant position in the Senate. We need people like Ken Buck and Sen. Jim DeMint. Even just a handful of true Americans can turn the tide in this country. Until all senators take term-limits pledges, I hope Ken Buck does not.
5) Buck has already sworn his allegiance to principle over party, and I believe him. Ken Buck is pro-growth and pro-taxpayer. He is apparently supported by Americans for Job Security, a PAC of the United States Chamber of Commerce. That’s okay with me since the C of C works for growth and employment. Even so, I don’t ever see Ken Buck voting for something if such vote is not in accordance with his values. His opponent is supported by multitudes of PACs. PACs are a modern-day reality. The issue is the strength of character of the candidate.
It should be noted that even though AJS apparently supports Buck, it is not "Buck's PAC." By law, he can have no affiliation with it.
4) Ken has been all over Colorado, many times. I have been to several debates and forums, always hoping to see Ken Buck and Jane Norton side-by-side. I have yet to see them together. What I do see is that Ken just keeps showing up. The voters are seeing that, too!
3) Ken has a wonderful chance at winning in November. He leads both Democrats, and is now leading Norton by double-digits. Republicans are not pleased that Buck’s opponent bypassed the assembly and snubbed the grass roots; the duly elected representatives of their precincts. Democrats are particularly not in favor at the moment because of their liberal, big spending, and liberty limiting views and votes; but even if they were, Ken Buck will present a commanding presence over either of them.
2) I believe either Republican would try to serve constituents, although at present, Buck’s opponent refuses (on Facebook) to answer any difficult questions respectfully submitted to her. They get deleted. I hope that is not a bad omen for how she will respond to Coloradans in the future. My experience with Sen. Bennet, in particular, is that he ignores my communications.
1) Pride: Coloradans will be proud of Ken Buck. He has been honest and strong throughout. He is responsive to questions and will discuss anything, even those issues about which someone disagrees with him. He has never resorted to dirty tricks, truth-twisting and outright lies.
If I had one word to describe Ken Buck I would say "honest."
Bonus: I don’t know if any of the present U.S. Senate candidates have presidential aspirations, but if one were to rise to the top, it would be Ken Buck. I hope the Independent continues to watch him. He has a great command of every situation. For now, he wants to serve Colorado and he loves America!
I'm not really sure what wc is concerned about with Ken Buck. If he's worried about special interests, he should look at Norton's lobbying past. Her brother-in-law is Charlie Black, well known GOP power broker and McCain staffer. He organized fundraisers with tons of Washington D.C. lobbyists representing special interests to fund her campaign. AJS is an outside group like FRC, and they of course are free to endorse who they want, but they don't have any ties to the Buck campaign. If you're looking for independence, somebody to represent Colorado rather than Washington D.C., Ken Buck is your man.
Ken Buck has direct ties to special interest groups. Americans for Job Security,which is a group funded by big insurance, heavily contributed to his campaign. His D.A.'s office telephone number was also used in their TV ad. He also has direct ties to SC Senator, Jim Demint who has also heavily contributed to his campaign.
The previous post by "colawman" cites many reasons why Ken Buck may make a good D.A. (although the post looks to be written by someone employed by Ken Buck), but it hardly cites any reason why Ken Buck should be trusted in the U.S. Senate.
With Ken Buck, it will be more of the same in Washington......a friend of big business, big insurance companies and Washington insider funding for special interest groups.
Ken Buck entered the political arena by running for Weld County District Attorney. I clearly recall his campaign promise of cleaning up crime in Weld County with a focus on Gangs in Greeley. His promise certainly addressed the concern of residents as Greeley was under seige from gang violence and a crime index that surpassed Denver and Colorado Springs (Part I crimes per 1,000 population, FBI UCR). Ken recognized that Greeley's crimes had become regular features in state wide media. This notoriety had a negative impact on economic development, property values, and new enrollment at UNC and Aims. Ken won the election based on people believing in his message, but could he deliver? There is no denying he surpassed his campaign promises. Crime in Weld County and Greeley has been cut 38 to 50%, depending on which study is used. He accomplished this by arm twisting federal law enforcement to locate in Greeley to help combat Gangs and drugs. ATF, ICE, and the FBI all moved into Greeley to join the assault. Ken Buck cleared the DA's office of ineffective prosecutors and brought in aggressive and effective prosecutors from outside Weld County. His office has a 100% conviction rate on First Degree Murder cases (with no plea bargains). Ken then went to work on dealing with Weld County's Identify Theft problem in which Weld County ranked among the nation's top. He again twisted arms and got ICE to locate an office in Greeley. This same strategy was being employed in El Paso County. Both counties wanted ICE to become engaged in this fight against Identify Theft. 5 years after he started this push for ICE (while being opposed by the then Mayor of Greeley) success. ICE recently held their grand opening in Greeley. Ken attempted to hold accountable those who were engaged in Identity Theft in a Weld County Sheriff Department investigation known as Operation Numbers Game. His efforts were derailed when the Co. Supreme Court ruled against the Sheriff's search warrant. It was a loss, but it shows Ken Buck's willingness to take on the politically difficult issues. Ken Buck was the guiding force behind the Juvenile Assessment Center that has proven it's effectiveness in dealing with juveniles outside of the Justice system. This program quickly identifies needs and provides alternative interventions for those juveniles who first pop on the radar for runaway, truancy, misdemeanor crimes. Ken Buck is a man of action. It is rare a politician that will actually keep his campaign promises.
Ken Buck is the guy I want to represent me. He has all the qualities I want and will be able to stand up to the others in Washington . Thanks.
All content © Copyright 2016, The Colorado Springs Independent
Website powered by Foundation