The big five
How's this for marketing: "Penrose Room is the only Five-Star and Five-Diamond restaurant in Colorado."
Last week, The Broadmoor's pinnacle dining spot (broadmoor.com/penrose-room.php) became one of two Five-Star restaurants added to the 2010 Forbes Travel Guide (formerly Mobil Travel Guide), earning it the right to the above banner. The announcement came with a record 50th Five-Star nod from Mobil for the hotel, and a first-time fifth star for The Spa at Broadmoor.
The King Soopers-anchored shopping center near Woodmen Road and Union Boulevard became more culinarily diverse when Pita Bella (3578 Hartsel Drive, Suite F, 238-1848) opened two weeks ago. Owner Rami Jdour, originally from Jordan, says diners should expect shawarma, gyros and baba ghanoush among a smorgasbord of Greek, Turkish, Moroccan, Georgian and Yemeni dishes.
• Fryers: If you generate a steady supply of used vegetable oil and would be willing to donate it to Designated Driver of Colorado Springs, which runs three biodiesel trucks to shuttle the inebriated, contact Nonie Rispin at noduicosprings.com.
• Restaurateurs: If you're interested in a free, low-flow rinse sprayer for your commercial dishwasher that will save water and money, Pizzeria Rustica (2527 W. Colorado Ave.) has volunteered to be a distribution point for Colorado Springs Utilities. E-mail email@example.com for more.
À la carte
• Attend a raw food potluck and lecture on medicinal herbs, immunity-boosting and more from 6 to 9 p.m., Friday, Nov. 20 at the Community for Spiritual Living (3685 Jeannine Drive, 266-0433). Admission is $15 plus an organic, raw, vegan dish contribution.
• Will's Sports Pub (424 S. Nevada Ave., 475-2122) will serve a free meal to veterans and soldiers beginning at 5 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 25. RSVP required.
• Little Nepal Indian Restaurant & Bar (1747 S. Eighth St., lnepal.com) will celebrate its second anniversary from 5 to 9 p.m., Nov. 28. Expect a gourmet buffet dinner paired with live sitar and flute music, and Indian and belly dancers. Tickets are $30 ($25 in advance).
• On the heels of a recent menu change, Jake & Telly's (2616 W. Colorado Ave., greekdining.com) is turning over another new grape leaf. The restaurant formerly ending in "Greek Cuisine" is now Jake & Telly's Greek Taverna — taverna being a common name for small restaurants in Greece.