Local sandwich favorite Grand Slam Subs (101 N. Tejon St., #106) closed at the end of January, succumbing to the corporate triangle of Jimmy John's, Subway and Quizno's.
"I had a lot of loyal customers, and I appreciate every one of them, but I didn't realize how much the location and the competition were going to hurt," says co-owner Fred Lindhe.
Lindhe says that despite pouring long hours into the business, he was unable to balance costs and slid further into debt.
"I know we had a great product, and great service. I think the bottom line was maybe we didn't market ourselves as what we truly were, and that was closer to a deli than a sub shop."
• Attend A Night of 100 Dinners, a spaghetti dinner from 6 to 9 p.m., Feb. 17 at The Underground (110 N. Nevada Ave., 578-7771). $8.95 tickets benefit the Southern Colorado AIDS Project; RSVP to email@example.com.
• Next, spring to The Broadmoor (1 Lake Ave., 634-7711) from 5 to 8:30 p.m., Feb. 21 for the 25th annual Chef's Gala. The event features food from more than 20 local chefs and benefits the Colorado Springs Chorale. Tickets are $95; contact 634-3737 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more.
• Lastly, head back to The Broadmoor and sample from roughly 40 different restaurants and caterers from noon to 3 p.m., Feb. 28 at the Colorado Restaurant Association's 15th Hospitality Expo. Tickets are $30 ($25 before Feb. 25, ppcra.org) and benefit ProStart Colorado and the Penrose Foundation.
À la carte
• You've waited, you've asked your neighbors, and you've Googled the date incessantly, but it's finally here: the annual New York-style corned beef sandwich fund-raiser lunch for and from Temple Shalom (1523 E. Monument St., 634-5311)! For $10.50, get a sandwich, coleslaw, a pickle, chips and a cookie; lunches are only available by pre-order between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. prior to the end of day, Friday, Feb. 5. Pickup will be Feb. 10 between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the temple.
• Enjoy the Independent Restaurant Cooperative's five-course February dinner at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 9, at Jake and Telly's (2616 W. Colorado Ave., greekdining.com). Cost is $55 per person plus tax/tip.
• Show off what you've got hidden in your closet at the fifth annual Peterson AFB Homebrew Competition. It's $5 for one entry or $10 for as many as you like, and they're being accepted through Tuesday, Feb. 9. Awards will be given out at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 19 at the Peterson Club (on base). See brewbrothers.dwalker.com for details.
• Visit craftwood.com to print a $50, four-course dinner-for-two coupon for the Craftwood Inn (404 El Paso Blvd., Manitou Springs), valid 5 to 6 p.m., Sundays-Fridays.
I was thinking the same thing about the wage. We are members of the ymca…
The minimum wage for cooks and back of the house restaurant staff will be $9.30…
Well thanks for the honest feedback. We'll try to improve as we love our city,…