1. Preserving local character and prosperity gives our community an economic advantage.
2. Locally owned businesses return more of their income to the local economy than businesses that arent locally owned.
3. Entrepreneurship serves as a key means for families to move out of low-wage jobs and into the middle class.
4. Local stores help sustain vibrant, compact, walkable town centers, which are essential to reducing negative environmental impact.
5. A marketplace with a multitude of small businesses ensures innovation, low prices and a range of product choices in the long run.
-- Says who? Andy Gipe, president of the Pikes Peak
Independent Business Alliance (ppiba.org).